Friday, July 30, 2010

In the Field

Eric has been in the field training all of this week. His command and our FRG set up a BBQ so any wives who wanted to could convoy out to the field and observe some of the training and spend a little quality time with our soldiers.

By the way, there was a time in my life when I would have called a group of cars all headed to the same destination a caravan, but those days are over now. Now it is a convoy. :)

We have missed him a lot this week, and we were really excited to spend time with him. We looked forward to it all week. Once we got to the base the training site was on, we had to drive out on some dirt roads through the woods. It was definitely what you would call "out in the middle of nowhere". But it was really, really beautiful nowhere. Driving on the dirt roads was pretty interesting. I was the second to the last car in a pretty long line, and the cars in front of me were kicking up quite the dirt cloud. It was pretty much driving blind, following the outline of the road in front of me, and hoping nothing dangerous materialized.

We made it safely, and when we got out there we got to watch a demonstration of what they have been training on this week. We saw them shoot their M4's and the weapons on the strykers. I won't pretend I actually understood what was going on, but it was still really impressive to watch. I know one thing: I wouldn't want to be on their bad side. That is for sure!

After the demonstration, we were told we could go find our soldiers, so I started looking around for mine. He turned out to be still on the range with his stryker crew, and they pulled up a few minutes later. The boys were so excited to run and see their daddy after he'd been gone all week. I got this sweet picture of it. I love how they are running to him. It gives me a lump in my throat, though, because it makes me think about them running to hug him when he comes back from a year-long deployment. That will be a happy time, of course, but we will go through a lot of pain to get there.








It was so good to see him! I am so proud of him and everything that he does. He is selfless and hard-working, and I couldn't have asked for a better man to be my husband.

1 comment:

  1. aaahhh....I got choked up just thinking about him being gone for so long. We will definitely be keeping you guys in our thoughts and prayers. I know it's going to be tough, but I know that God will carry you through. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete