Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Broken Glasses Saga

Well...I broke my glasses.  It was a bummer.  I loved those glasses.  They were so cute.  And Eric loved them, too.  But alas, they fell off a stack of books I was carrying across the kitchen and broke right in half.  I put them in the case and went to bed, hoping that I would wake up in the morning and they would somehow be back together again...but obviously, that did not happen.

So I'm pretty blind these days.  Thankfully, I haven't had to leave the house too much, and when I have, it's been during the day so I can wear my prescription sun glasses.  I've had a lot of headaches these past few days, though.  Not being able to see is not fun.  I don't know how people managed it before the modern technology of glasses.

I wanted to rush out the day they broke and get new ones.  But we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.  And by Kansas, I of course mean, anywhere in the US besides Alaska.  There were literally no options in town for me to go and get new glasses that day.  The soonest I could get in was today, 3 days later.  I couldn't find anyone that could make glasses on their premises and get me in with their eye doctor, so I had an exam at one place and took the prescription to another to have the lenses cut and buy the frames.

The exam was done in the optical department of a large discount shopping club store that I will not name in case I'm not allowed to.  The doctor was really nice, and did a quick exam and didn't mind my 3 kids cartwheeling around the exam room the whole time.  The receptionist was also nice, and even offered to watch my kids for me during my exam, but the optical department is not at all closed off from the rest of the store.  Right after she offered, she turned to answer the phone, talk to a customer and work on the computer all at the same time, with her back completely to my boys.  I could just picture them wandering off and getting lost forever in the store...or worse.  She insisted on doing it several times, even after I told her that I didn't think it was a good idea.  So when the doctor finally called me back, I just took them with me.  Yeah....you guessed it.  She never even noticed.  Not an ideal babysitting scenario...

Thanks for the nice thought, ma'am, but these boys are eyes-on, all the time.  Eyes.  On.  And the ruckus they made in the exam room is nothing compared to the chaos I would have caused if I came out and they were gone or hurt.  I realize that they are loud and don't always behave, but I LOVE them.  Heck, I even like them :)  And I kinda want to make sure they're safe.

Anyway...that place takes 2 weeks to get glasses ready for you.  I generally can't go 2 weeks without using my eyes, so I took the prescription to a clinic on post.  I was pretty nervous about picking something ugly, since I have never had to choose glasses without input from the most important person (my husband!), but lucky for me, the clerk was about my age and not busy so she helped me a lot and gave me feedback about what was cute and what was NOT cute.  I ended up picking some that I liked and feel pretty good about.

So my new glasses will be ready by tomorrow afternoon.  Praise the Lord!  It's only been a few days without, but boy do you realize what a luxury eye glasses are when you break yours in half in Fairbanks, Alaska!

No comments:

Post a Comment