Saturday, September 24, 2011

Oh, hello!


Well, I was just thinking recently that it's been quite a while since I posted anything here, and I suppose it's about time for an update!  So here we go!

We are just a few weeks away from our half-way point in this deployment.  On one hand, I feel like that happened really fast and he just left, and on the other hand, I feel like it's been forever since I was last with my husband. 

As of right now, Eric has almost no access to communication euipment and we only hear from him on a very limited basis. We've spoken 3 times in the past month.  We write to each other frequently, but it takes an incredibly long time for anything he sends to get here.  He gets the mail we send, but I haven't gotten anything from him since June, even though I know he has been sending letters.  He has been able to send the boys a few videos of him reading stories, courtesy of the USO.  I think they must use a different mail system for those because they get here within a week or 2 of the date on the disk.  The times that I have been able to speak to him, he sounds upbeat and excited about what he's doing, hard as it is at times.  He is an amazing guy-you will never hear him complain about anything.  Not sleeping in the dirt, not having to give up absolutely every modern-day convenience known to man, not working for days on end with little to no sleep.  You might hear him say he hates being away from his family, but that's about as negative as he ever gets.

We miss him terribly, of course, and this deployment has been pretty hard.  There is a lot of fear and pain.  Learning to live under this kind of emotional pressure has been one of the biggest challenges of my life.  I would not have it any other way, though.  They are doing such great things over there, and I am so proud of Eric and all his fellow soldiers.  What they are accomplishing is truly making this world a safer place.  I am so thankful that God has allowed my family to play a part in this.  Don't ever tell me that this war is pointless or a waste-that's just not true.  I will never argue that point with anyone stupid enough to think that way, though.

Yeah, I said stupid. 

!

In other news, we live in Alaska.  It's got to be the prettiest place on earth.  No contest.  Fall here is absolutely gorgeous.  The trees turn these brilliant shades of gold that contrast with the white trunks of the birch trees and it is just beautiful.  Not to mention the Northern Lights, which I have been able to see from my own backyard several times this season.  Always a breathtaking sight.  It reminds me that even though the night may be long and hard, there is a beautiful reward promised to us for walking through it.  The darker the night, the more brightly and beautifully the Aurora glows. 


"One thing I have asked of the Lord, that will I seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days
of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord"
Psalm 27:4

No comments:

Post a Comment